Thursday, July 22, 2010

Highs and Lows

So this past week had a HIGH and a LOW. My high is I have lost 10 pounds in 5 weeks with changes in portions and running/walking for 30 minutes every other day. I was really proud of myself. Although there is no visual change in my appearance, my pants were a little loose and the biggest plus as I felt confident. AND I ran for 20 minutes non-stop!!

I went to the doctor because I had this rash coming up all over my body. It started on my chest, then at the top of my legs at my bottom. I thought it was a heat rash so I didn't pay much attention. Then the rash near my bottom started to hurt and turn to sores. It hurt to run, walk, sit, etc. Then a rash showed up on my feet. With fear that there was something really wrong with me I took a trip to the doctor. When I went to the doctor and got on the scale I was 10 pounds lighter. I was so happy I wanted to walk back into the waiting area and shout it at the top of my lungs! Now ten pounds is a very small fraction of what I want to lose and how much I need to lose to be at a healthy weight, but it is a milestone. The verdict from the doctor was that I did have heat rash. The sores were a form of staff that occurs when hair follicles are blocked by sweat. I am on an antibiotic for two weeks to clear up the sores. The doctor was very proud of me for taking steps to change my lifestyle and encouraged me to keep "sweating my buns off" haha. However, the rash is not my low.

I said earlier that I ran 20 minutes non-stop. I even kicked up my speed to 5.0 for the last five minutes. I was so happy. I never thought I could do this... Then on Thursday I went to Zumba with Murph and Sandra. I had a lot of fun and enjoyed the workout. I plan to incorporate a couple nights of Zumba into my workout routine. I definitely think I held my own with the instructor and the regulars. So at this high of 10lbs, 20 minute non-stop run, and a zumba class- I stopped! That is right I said I stopped!! I don't know why. Laziness, I guess.

So here I am a week later. I finally got back on the treadmill. I started day 1 of week 6 on Couch to 5k and it was so hard not to stop. I did have to slow down some but I DID NOT QUIT! I have weighed myself and I have still lost the 10 lbs. So atleast I didn't gain.

I am sure this will not be the first major lull in my journey and I am sure I will plateau at some point and become discouraged. However, I owe this to myself. I have a greater purpose in life than to just give up on things.

I will keep this up!

No comments: